Jemaa el Fna
The lung of the Medina is none other than the Jemaa el Fna, which was recognized worldwide Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2001. Place of trade, Square has also become a space for performances to entertain traders during their rest. Day or night, the entertainment took place: the snake charmers and other traditional musicians give way at night with dancers and many mobile restaurants that offer taste of traditional Moroccan cuisine. Place was awarded in 2015 the title of best African monument thanks to the votes of millions of users of the TripAdvisor site.
Kasbah: Old fortress almoravide
Pierced the imposing Bab Agnaou, the Kasbah district honors the Saadian dynasty, which marked the city from the fourteenth to the sixteenth century, through the presence of tombs. Also close to the Kasbah Mosque, the El Badi Palace retains the vestiges of the Saadian influence.
The north of the Medina
The north of the ancient city concentrates many historical monuments: the incomparable Ben Youssef Madrasa, Koranic school now become Museum, Almoravid Koubba, the Museum of Marrakech, expression of contemporary artists showcase, the House of Photography of Marrakech, which set out the old photos of the city.The many public fountains scattered in different neighborhoods of Marrakech allowed to supply the inhabitants with drinking water. Two emblematic fountains Also nearby: the Mouassine fountain and Chrob or Chouf fountain, literally "Wood and Look" ...
Although the soul of the city lies in the Medina, Marrakech is also a modern city with all the amenities that make it a city of the XXI century. From 1913, the Gueliz district was the first neighborhood built outside the walls of Marrakech, in the west of Medina during the French protectorate. The name of Guéliz come from the big rock, El Gueliz, not far in the vast plain of Marrakech. On this rock blackish slate was according to legend pray Sidi Bel Abbes Are Sebty, protector of merchants, which is now one of the seven saints of Marrakech. During the occupation of the southern capital in 1912 by the French authorities noticed the exceptional strategic position that rock offered a military point of view. A citadel was then established there, with a garrison camp nearby. At the beginning of 1913 when sprung the idea of founding a European center near Marrakech, the choice of location is imposed by itself. For safety reasons, the new city was implanted near the military camp. But El Guéliz also had the advantage of being at the intersection of Casablanca roads, ports and South of the Sub region. An anecdote shows the commitment of Marrakchis for their floral heritage: it was forbidden for any manufacturer to snatch the palms within its newly acquired land. A derogation was possible in each case, and if he then promised to replant three trees. Under the leadership of General Lyautey, large avenues, straight and wide were built, while respecting the original architectural cultural influences. Limiting buildings to three floors, the landscape panorama was intentionally saved. Both cities, old and new, are united by a common identity, that of the Red City. administrative and economic center of Marrakech, hosting most of the seats of the institutions and enterprises, today also focuses Guéliz cultural activity, with the Palace of Congress, the Royal Theatre and some cultural institutions. It is also a place for relaxation with its wide terraces of cafés and many shopping stores.
The old Jewish quarter of Marrakech concentrates the sumptuous Bahia Palace, which dates from the nineteenth century and the Dar Si Said Museum and Museum Tiskiwin, which retain the Moroccan cultural heritage and specifically Berber for the second. It is also the Rahba Kedima, the old slave market, now surrounded by many spice shops. Visitors will also feel the traces of the occupation of the area by the Jewish populations, discovering synagogues and Jewish cemetery. The Jewish presence in Morocco dates back 2,500 years and has been reinforced by successive waves of immigration of refugees especially from Andalusia.Fleeing the Reconquista of the Catholic kings, the Jews of Andalusia and have flocked significantly to Morocco from the fifteenth century. Mellah of Marrakech was built in 1558 under the reign of Moulay Abdallah, offering the Jewish population that fled Spain, a secure area in the heart of the medina, while enjoying their artisan talents in return. Occupying 18 hectares, houses easily recognizable by their balconies and stalls are present in narrow streets, all surrounded by high walls that separated the Jewish and Muslim communities, leaving them free movement. In the 1960s, most Jews located in the Marrakech Mellah left the kingdom to reach Israel. Thus, neighborhood life was completely disrupted by the departure of its residents to the ancestral knowledge, and houses abandoned. This heritage degradation is currently undergoing a major renovation by the city of Marrakech, respecting the architectural philosophy. A Jewish community of about 200 people still lives in harmony with its Muslim neighbors. Nowadays, only the culinary tradition and craftsmanship remain to recall the existence of the Mellah in all major cities of the kingdom. Not far from the Tinsmiths Square, you will find a souk jewelery souk clothing and fabrics and Spice Souk.
In the popular district of Bab Doukkal is held every morning a market of agricultural products. In 2005 there were built seven towers, outside the ramparts, in homage to the seven saints who watched over the ocher city. There is a crossing point between the old city and the new Guéliz city, and there is also the bus station in Marrakech. Major redevelopment and rehabilitation work will take place to give more living spaces to the inhabitants, deeply changing its appearance.
Hivernage is a new neighborhood, built under the leadership of King Mohammed VI in the 2000s including Located southwest of Gueliz, Avenue Mohammed VI is the heart. This long avenue lined with greenery was recently extended to reach the ramparts of Agdal.Hivernage born from the construction of the first casino and some hotels located to allow, for these equipment, a tourist boom in the city in the 30s this residential area now houses many sumptuous mansions and includes most large hotels in Marrakech, as well as party venues.
The Palmeraie whose turn is 22 km, is famous in Marrakech. It is 13,000 hectares and has about 150,000 palm trees and some hotels.